Preparing for the Breast Cancer 3-Day: Stretching
Stretching is the key to helping you maintain flexibility and avoid injury. You will be amazed by how much it helps your walking. To help increase your flexibility you might want to consider adding a yoga or Pilates class into your training program.
Some guidelines for stretching are:
• Warm up first (walk for 3 to 5 minutes).
• Hold each stretch for 10 to 15 seconds.
• Achieve the stretching position gently. Do not bounce.
• Only stretch within your limits. If you feel any discomfort, stop.
• Remember to breathe while stretching.
• The most important stretch is after your exercise.
Here are some stretching tips to follow while on the event:
• Stretch 5 minutes per hour.
• Stretch in the morning before you hit the road.
• Stretch at all the pit stops.
• Stretch waiting for the port-a-potty.
• Stretch at a red light.
• Stretch at a green light.
• Stretch when you come into camp.
• Participate in organized stretching in camp each evening.
You will find a list of recommended stretches in your Support Handbook and under the training tips guidelines on the 3-Day website www.The3Day.org
This Training Tip Was Brought to You By Motrin
The makers of Motrin® IB have always supported you and your family with powerful relief for muscle aches and pains. We’re also proud to put our muscle behind breast cancer awareness. As part of this commitment, the makers of Motrin® IB (ibuprofen) serve as one of the sponsors of the Breast Cancer 3-Day.
We appreciate your participation and cooperation in this important initiative. Talk to your doctor before beginning or changing your exercise routine. Please think about passing this information on to a friend. Encourage them to share the strength... and help save lives. And if minor aches and pains threaten to slow you down, remember Motrin® IB – MEDICINE WITH MUSCLE.