Wednesday, February 25, 2009

So, what's your resolution?

So New Year’s has come and gone… how are those resolutions doing? I know, I know… don’t bring that up! Lose weight, get in shape, establish world peace… ok, so these seem a bit lofty. But perhaps you just need to take one step in the right direction… and then another and another and another! :)

That step is to register for the Breast Cancer 3-Day. You are thinking, yeah right Amy, that one thing will do all that? Well, just maybe!

Let’s start at the beginning. The Breast Cancer 3-Day is 15 city nationwide series that raises millions of dollars for breast cancer research, education and community health programs. Participants complete 60 miles in 3 days. No that is not a misprint…. 6-0 miles! Ok, pick yourself up off the floor and breathe. (it is do-able… many have done it before you and many will do it again!) Participants also have a minimum fundraising goal of $2,300 which benefits Susan G. Komen for the Cure and the National Philanthropic Trust Breast Cancer Fund.

I know, you are still reading this going… hello, earth to Amy…. 60 miles, 3 day, $2,300! You have lost it! No, I haven’t! You see, 5 years ago I was there with you! In January 2005, I made the resolutions… the usual suspects – weight, shape, world peace. But I also added one more – To do something meaningful. Wow… talk about lofty! I was at a point in my life where I knew I needed to do more… but what? Well, I remember when my life changed… January 25, 2005. I was thumbing through my January O magazine and there it was… the answer to all my resolutions! It was a full page ad for the Breast Cancer 3-Day. I was stuck on the page. My mom is a survivor so I had a connection. I went online and did my research and signed up. Of course, I wasn’t doing it alone… I signed Jeff up too… yeah crew!

Ok, signing up helped with 3 out of 4 goals. Lost some weight and shaped up during training and I definitely did some thing meaningful. Hmmmm, world peace…. Well, the world is at peace and harmony on event!

Sign up today and together we can “teach the world to sign… in perfect harmony.”
www.the3day.org

No comments: